Tuesday 29 May 2012

The Assumption of Superiority


Now that I’m a grown up my trouble with girls no longer involves drunken philandering so much as friction over nappies and homework.

My wives’ friends are always moaning that childcare is such hard work and that men couldn’t cope with it. Recently, however, my beloved went to visit family abroad, leaving me to look after our three young boys on my own for nine days.  My wife’s coven were full of gleeful anticipation that I would not cope.

Admittedly there was some early morning chaos trying to get ready for school and some late nights for me doing the washing and ironing after they were in bed but we coped quite well. It’s not that difficult, you just need to be organised and firm with the kids, but every time I saw one of the coven they would look at me smugly as if they’re doing so much better than me. It’s so annoying that women assume this air of superiority in relation to childcare because it’s not true.

No comments:

Post a Comment